About the Program
Over the course of 6-weeks, 30-32 fellows from Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, and Tunisia will participate in a week-long Professional Development Training with a University Partner, complete a four-week professional fellowship in Washington D.C. or Austin Texas and attend the Professional Fellows Congress. By the close of the program, fellows will have designed and developed a proposal for a follow-on project to be carried out upon return home.
COVID contingencies: Legacy International's team is working closely with the U.S. Department of State, local and global health professionals to plan a program that adheres to the best public health practices. If the global health situation stabilizes and travel restrictions ease, we hope to conduct the program in person in Fall 2022. We remain open to providing a high quality virtual exchange if necessary.
SELECTED FELLOWS WILL LEARN:
- Effective practices in business management (developing a business plan, financing and accounting, human resource management, marketing, strategic planning, and networking, etc.);
- Principles of social entrepreneurship and increase the ability to run effective community outreach and public relations campaigns;
- Best practices from American colleagues in workforce development, gain exposure to models and innovative and practical ideas and tools in increase effectiveness of these programs;
- Increase the ability to think “outside of the box,” and spark creative, innovative approaches to problems, products, and marketplaces;
- Acquire new skills and strategies to engage effectively with policymakers and government officials;
- Form new or improved strategic partnerships.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM COMPONENTS:
- Professional Fellows Congress: Both the fall 2022 and spring 2023 programs will conclude with a 4-day "Professional Fellows Congress" in Washington, DC. This event will bring together approximately 350 fellows from around the world. Fellows will have the opportunity to build relationships with fellows from dozens of countries and learn the tools of effective leadership.
- Follow-on Project Development: Each fellow will spend time developing an idea for a follow-on project to be implemented upon returning home. Fellows will participate in a number of training sessions to learn project design skills and write a project proposal during their time in the US.
- Outbound Program: US delegates who acted as hosts or mentors during the US immersion segment will be selected to travel to Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, or Tunisia to co-lead training seminars and gain first-hand knowledge of the country and its people. Fellows will assist in planning the US Delegation's visit and hosting them.
DAYS OF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT TRAINING
DAY STAY WITH AN AMERICAN HOST FAMILY
WEEK PROFESSIONAL FELLOWSHIP IN WASHINGTON DC
DAYS OF THE PROFESSIONAL FELLOWS CONGRESS
WHAT DID PREVIOUS FELLOWS SAY?
"This program has changed me significantly. On a personal level, I have developed a great degree of self-awareness and control. On a professional level, I gained so much confidence in my capabilities and abilities."
"I became more open to different cultures, understanding to their social challenges and hence more tolerant and accepting. In addition, i also became more self accepting, embraced the fact that i should be proud of the effort more than the results"
"I learned more how to balance personal care and professional goals. I also stepped outside my comfort zone in terms of networking."