Check out our 2018 & 2019 hosting opportunities! (updated August 9, 2018)
Legacy is always looking for host families in Southwest Virginia and Washington DC. If you live in Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Bedford, Lynchburg, or Roanoke (OR the Washington, DC metro area) and would like to become part of our network, please complete our Host Family Questionnaire.
Professional Fellows Program – Hosts needed in BLACKSBURG, CHRISTIANSBURG, ROANOKE or SALEM, Virginia for one week stays. Participants will have Legacy organized activities at Virginia Tech during weekday work hours. (Legacy provides transport form Roanoke.) 2018 & 2019 date options:
- NOW SEEKING FAMILIES! FALL 2018 (Egypt, Algeria, Libya & Lebanon): Sunday, October 7 at ~2pm through Sunday, October 14, ~2pm (6 nights).
- SPRING 2019: Sunday, April 21 ~2pm through Sunday, April 29 ~2pm (6 nights).
- FALL, 2019: Sunday, October 6 at ~2pm through Sunday, October 13, ~2pm (6 nights).
TechGirls from Middle East & North Africa AND Central Asia (New in 2019!) July weekend hosts needed in ROANOKE, LYNCHBURG, SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE or BEDFORD, Virginia. 2019 summer options:
- TechGirls / Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan & Uzbekistan): Friday afternoon, July 12 through Sunday afternoon, July 14, 2019 (weekend, 2 nights).
- TechGirls / MENA (Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestinian Territories): Friday afternoon, July 26 through Sunday afternoon, July 28, 2019 (weekend, 2 nights).
Homestay hosts play a critical role in the overall experience of international guests. Through their time with their American families, exchange visitors best understand U.S. cultural values and way of life. More than 400 southern Virginia families, companies, and organizations have participated in home hosting and program activities for Legacy’s international visitors since 1994.
Families with children, couples, and single adults can become volunteer hosts. Hosting periods range from 1-2 weeks in length to just a weekend. Legacy organizes the daytime program activities for your guest(s) on weekdays, and include transportation support to these activities from a centralized meeting point in your community..
The Indonesian youth in Legacy’s Indonesia-U.S. Youth Leadership Exchange who stayed with Roanoke & Bedford families expressed their enthusiasm for their homestay hosts. Read about their favorite moments with their American family.
Skip and Vickie Larrington have been hosting Legacy’s international visitors at their Smith Mountain Lake home for 10+ years. The Larringtons recently traveled to the Middle East and connected with their “daughters” from TechGirls. Read about their favorite moments from one of their recent hosting opportunities.