Youth Leadership Program: Fiji, Tonga,
US High School Students invited to apply by May 4th
Virtual Exchange connecting students from Fiji, Tonga, Tuvalu and the U.S. to develop solutions for environmental issues.
- Are you interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM)?
- Are you a youth environmental activist who can share tips for youth engagement with peers from three island nations?
The Youth Leadership Program (YLP) with Fiji, Tonga, and Tuvalu is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State and administered by Legacy International. The program fosters greater understanding and collaboration amongst participants to pursue climate resiliency.
Program Commitments: Youth Ambassadors will participate in approximately 6 hours of synchronous and 6 hours of asynchronous activities between August 21 and September 4 through the following activities:
- Pre-program E-Pal exchanges via email
- Saturday, August 21: U.S. youths present their STEAM leadership experiences with interactive breakout sessions focused on promoting cultural exchange
- Friday, August 27, or Saturday, August 28, invite a student from Fiji, Tonga, or Tuvalu to join your family for a virtual dinner.
- September 4 participate in the Showcase Event highlighting plans for environmental leadership in the three nations.
- Post virtual exchange, U.S. youths join one of the monthly follow-up meetings (October-December) to exchange news about community projects.
During this program, you will:
- Share your experience as a leader in building climate resiliency.
- Develop leadership and peer education skills
- Be a cultural ambassador – share your experiences as a student in the U.S. and learn more about life as a high school student in Fiji, Tonga, and Tuvalu.
- Receive a certificate in Citizen Diplomacy
Student applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 18 years old by August 1, 2021.
- Be a U.S. Citizen with a strong interest in STEAM and environmental issues.
- Demonstrate initiative, good communication, and an energetic, positive attitude.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively in a team and appreciate the opinions of others.
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the program.
- Have a stable internet connection and access to a desktop or laptop
Is there a cost? There is no application fee and no cost to participate.
Applications open March 24 and close at noon (EST) May 4, 2021. Semifinalists will be selected for interviews and final notifications made by April 30, 2021. Questions, email email@example.com
Application Deadline: May 4, 2021
Questions should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructions for completing this application: Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely . The information you provide on this application will provide the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semi-finalists will be contacted for a virtual interview and final notifications will be made in the first week of May.
We recommend you try to complete the application in one sitting. You can Save and continue later. An email will be sent to you with the link to continue. Be sure to check your email and spam folder if you choose to do that.