Youth Leadership Program: Fiji, Tonga, Tuvalu – Student Application Process
The Youth Leadership Program (YLP) with Fiji, Tonga, and Tuvalu is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State and administered by Legacy International. The program is five months in length including a three-week virtual exchange program from August 16-September 5, followed by four months of community action plans. Twenty – two high school students and three adult educators from the three countries will be selected to participate and gain valuable training in community leadership and environmental sustainability.
Student applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 18 years old by August 1, 2021;
- Be a citizen or resident living in Fiji, Tonga or Tuvalu (applicants with dual U.S. citizenship are ineligible);
- Have proficiency in English;
- Demonstrate good academic performance, leadership potential, an interest in and commitment to address environmental issues;
- Demonstrate initiative, good communication, and an energetic, positive attitude;
- Have the ability to work cooperatively in a team and appreciate the opinions of others;
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the program.
There is no application fee. The United States Government will pay for all costs to participate in the program, including travel to and from the classroom sites, lunches each day we are together, and other incidentals.
Application Deadline: March 11, 2021
Questions should be addressed to: email@example.com
Instructions for completing this application: Please fill out the application and answer all questions carefully and completely in English. The information you provide on this application will provide the basis for selecting participants for this program. Semi-finalists will be contacted for an interview (either in person or virtually) in March and final notifications will be made in April.
We recommend you try to complete the application in one sitting. There are 6 short essays required. You can Save and continue later. An email will be sent to you with the link to continue. Be sure to check your email and spam folder if you choose to do that.