The tech instructional partner for TechGirls is the Center for the Enhancement of Engineering Diversity (CEED) at Virginia Tech.
TechGirls receive 45 hours of instruction in Java coding and cybersecurity 101. They also have the chance to visit labs to learn about groundbreaking research. The whole experience opens up great awareness of academic and career paths.
“Cyber security classes were very important for me because thanks to our professor, I made the decision to choose cyber security for my future education in university.” Rukhia, Kazakhstan TechGirls 2019
“The CEED lab tours allowed me to explore many engineering branches. I worked in the lab as a material engineer and developed my own product from the metal; I made a prototype of the energy collector as an environmental engineer; I drove an almost fully autonomous car and learned how to write a code for artificial intelligence. The most exciting lab was building robots with hands on experience that solidified my desire to work in engineering for the rest of my life.” Khayot, Uzbekistan TechGirls 2019
Job Shadow Day:
TechGirls teams up with several private sector partners for a day of job shadowing.
Job shadowing allows the TechGirls to:
- Gain exposure to a variety of careers in the technology sector.
- Gain a better understanding of the job elements of their career interest.
- Learn what type of education is needed to gain entry to this career.
- Make contact with a potential future employer.
- Determine if the career is compatible with their interests and abilities.
- Build opportunities for mentorships with other women in tech.
- Build confidence in young women to pursue higher education and careers in technology.
- Experience American-style work life; understand the work/life balance.
- Gain exposure to collaborative work environments and innovative thinking.
To be a partner contact: TechGirls
Previous partners have included the following innovative companies:
Ashoka, AT&T, Bully Pulpit Interactive, Corporation for National & Community Service, echo&co,Facebook, FCC, Google, Health and Human Services,Islamic Relief USA, iStrategies Lab, Microsoft, National Building Museum, OhMyGov Inc., Precision Network, Relief International, Synoptos,TechChange and Verizon Communications.