Right for You?
Is This Program For you?
This program is designed for people with strong leadership skills who are early- to mid-career professionals. It is for visionary individuals committed to making a lasting impact in their communities.
Once you've determined that you meet the eligibility requirements, take some time to think about whether the Professional Fellows Program is right for you. You can learn more about the program by exploring this website.
- Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate flexibility and a sincere interest in gaining professional experience by working in an American non-government organization. This includes a variety of tasks and may from time to time include some routine administrative work.
- This intensive work experience is complemented by cultural immersion activities, dialogue with non-governmental and business leaders, and excursions.
- Upon return home, fellows will be responsible for completing a follow on project and for sharing what they have learned with colleagues and additional audiences.
Please make sure all information is complete and accurate and all questions answered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please contact us if you have questions or need assistance to complete the application.
Our Commitment to Persons with Disabilities:
We encourage people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate based on disability.
- We provide reasonable accommodations as needed to people with disabilities.
- Our materials are available in alternative formats (audio, electronic, large print, etc.) upon request.
- Program activities in the US are designed to be accessible. There are many local resources available for accommodations.
- Medical staff, and personal assistant, can accompany group as needed.
- Modifications for personal care such as shower chairs or accessible features in the home can be provided.
- American Sign Language interpretation and other communication access can be provided.
- We train staff on making accessible adaptations as needed.
- We provide the safety and security of traveling as a group with contingency plans factored in and consistent communication on any concerns.
- Legacy’s team will consult with you to make sure you have the health benefits coverage you need for travel. It will include your insurance as primary plus an Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges provided by US Department of State.
How does the selection process work?
- Participants are selected through a merit-based, competitive application process.
- Each complete application is read by at least two evaluators who have been trained to evaluate and score applications and who have experience with prior exchange programs.
- Successful applicants tend to be those who are able to effectively articulate both the impact they would like to make and demonstrate how they intend to do so.
Semi-finalists will be interviewed by a 3-person interview panel in your country. The selection committee seeks a diverse group of participants. Finalists will be notified and then apply for the necessary visa (called a J-1 visa).