The Youth Leadership Program (YLP) On Demand is a unique program created to serve the U.S. Embassies’ emerging needs. The program supports high school youth and adult educators’ participation in intensive, substantive three-week exchanges in the United States.
The exchange activities introduce participants to a comprehensive survey of civic education, community service, and youth leadership development. The students and educators participate in workshops, community service activities, meetings with community leaders, discussion groups, and opportunities for substantive interaction with each other and their American peers.
Program Activities take place in Washington DC. Southwest Virginia (Lynchburg to Blacksburg), Chicago, Austin, Detroit, and Denver.
- Prepare youth leaders to become responsible citizens and contributing members of their communities; and
- Promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries;
- Foster relationships among youth from different ethnic, religious, and national groups.
Share your home: Legacy is always looking for host families in Central and Southwest Virginia. If you live in Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Roanoke, Salem, Bedford, Smith Mountain Lake, Forest or Lynchburg and would like to become part of our network, please complete our Host Family Questionnaire.
Become a U.S. Youth Cultural Ambassador – Legacy International works with local schools and youth organizations to select five U.S. teens who demonstrate civic engagement and leadership to act as cultural hosts. This involves home hospitality, school visits, service projects and social events. If you would like to be considered as a U.S. Youth Cultural Ambassador, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To be selected as an ambassador, you will complete a survey and an interview.
Previous Programs Include:
- Youth Leadership Program for Bosnia and Herzegovina (2002-2004);
- Indonesia – U.S. Youth Leadership Program (2004-2013);
- Iraqi Young Leaders Exchange Program (2007-2013);
- TechGirls (2012-present);
- American Youth Leadership Program – Cyprus (2014-2016);
- Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Program for undergraduate students (2014-present);
- Yemeni YES Summer Leadership Institute (2015);
- Emerging Young Leaders Award (2016-2018)
- Youth Agricultural Leadership program -Turkey (2019)