Innovation for Community Action
Summer 2020 – United States & Saudi Arabia – Following successful 2014 – 2019 Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Programs (SYLEP), Legacy International is pleased to welcome a new delegation of Saudi young leaders to the U.S. from July 1 – 22, 2020.
SYLEP 2020 is a multi-phased leadership experience for 42 Saudi university students or recently graduated students between the ages of 21-26 and 3 U.S. Cultural Ambassadors (rising undergraduate seniors, graduate students and recent graduates). SYLEP seeks to build leadership skills, civic responsibility, appreciation for cultural diversity, community engagement, and volunteerism within a theme of S.T.E.A.M. education.
Through a series of site visits, trainings, expert sessions, volunteer opportunities, and participation events with agencies, organizations, and professionals working in this field, Legacy International will introduce participants to innovative local, state, federal, public, and private programs that promote S.T.E.A.M. education and strong communities. We aim to expose participants to individual, volunteer led initiatives as well as larger scale government and corporate solutions. In addition, Saudi participants will join in S.T.E.A.M. education activities side-by-side with U.S. community members. In this way, participants will not only learn about solutions but will get the opportunity for some hands-on experience during this U.S. exchange. Upon their return home, Saudi participants conduct follow-on projects in their home communities or university campuses, supported by Legacy International.
The goals of this program are to promote mutual understanding between the people of the U.S and the people of Saudi Arabia, prepare young leaders to become responsible citizens and contributing members of their communities, and develop leadership skills among Saudi youth. They will observe how individuals, non-governmental organizations, and government entities address community needs through public, private, and joint initiatives.
2020 celebrates 75 years of a strong partnership between the United States and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia based on mutual respect and common interests. The U.S. and Saudi Arabia have a long history of technical and education exchange which has benefited both nations.Building on the long-standing themes of SYLEP – leadership, tolerance, diversity, and strengthening communities – the 2020 Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Program will focus on innovation and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) education aimed towards community engagement and action that will allow for the upskilling of Saudi youth to improve social services across the Kingdom. The program will introduce and build upon their knowledge of technology and innovation as solutions to improve their communities.
- US Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Brave Communities
- We are excited to add an additional city immersion and program partner to the 2020 program – details TBA.
Ways to Participate:
- U.S. university students who are currently enrolled in a college or university (upcoming senior undergrads, or graduate students) or recent graduates may apply as U.S. Cultural Ambassador.
- U.S. families who live in one of the host communities may serve as home stay hosts for our Saudi guests (July 5-6; 2 nights)
- Saudi university students, ages 21-26, who are citizens and currently residing and studying in Saudi Arabia are eligible. Students with significant prior U.S. experience (ex. study abroad), are U.S. citizens or hold U.S. Permanent Residency status are not eligible. Applicants should possess sufficient English to participate in U.S. university-level classes. Questions? Email SYLEP@legacyintl.org. For more information, also visit Legacy’s Frequently Asked Questions.
- Reflections on the Saudi Young Leaders Program (blog post from two 2018 Cultural Ambassadors)
- Summering With Saudis (blog post from 2017 staff member)
- Entrepreneurship and Go-Karts: Linking U.S and Saudi Culture (blog post from 2016 Cultural Ambassador)
- What I Learned From 40 Saudi Arabian Students Visiting America (blog post from 2015 guest speaker)
- Student “Cultural Ambassador” Shares with Saudi Youth (blog post from 2014 Cultural Ambassador)
SYLEP is sponsored by the United States Department of State, U.S. Embassy in Riyadh, and administered by Legacy International.