Check out our hosting opportunities! (as of September, 2019)
Legacy is always looking for host families in Central and Southwest Virginia. If you live in Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Roanoke, Salem, Bedford, Smith Mountain Lake, Forest or Lynchburg and would like to become part of our network, please complete our Host Family Questionnaire.
2019 Hosting Opportunities
Professional Fellows Program – Hosts needed in BLACKSBURG / CHRISTIANSBURG or ROANOKE / SALEM, Virginia for one week stays. Participants will have Legacy organized activities during weekday work hours. 2019 Dates:
- FALL, 2019 (Egypt, Algeria, Libya & Lebanon): Sunday, October 13 at ~2pm through Sunday, October 20, ~2pm (7 nights).
2020 Hosting Opportunities
Professional Fellows Program – Host families needed in BLACKSBURG / CHRISTIANSBURG or ROANOKE / SALEM, Virginia for one week. Participants will have Legacy organized activities during weekday work hours. 2020 Spring & Fall Hosting Options:
- SPRING, 2020 (Tunisia, Morocco): Sunday, April 12 at ~2pm through Sunday, April 19, ~2pm (7 nights).
- FALL, 2020 (Egypt, Algeria, Libya & Lebanon): Sunday, September 27 at ~2pm through Sunday, October 4, ~2pm (7 nights).
Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Program – Weekend hosts needed in Austin, TX, Chicago, IL and Pittsburgh, PA. Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon (2 nights). 2020 Summer Dates TBA. Please contact:
TechGirls (Middle East, North Africa & Central Asia) – Summer weekend hosts needed in BLACKSBURG / CHRISTIANSBURG, ROANOKE / SALEM, LYNCHBURG / FOREST, SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, or BEDFORD, Virginia. 2020 Summer Dates TBA
- TechGirls / Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan): Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon, 2020 (2 nights). DATES TBA
- TechGirls / MENA (Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestinian Territories): Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon, 2020 (2 nights). DATES TBA
Homestay hosts play a critical role in the overall experience of international guests. Through their time with their American families, exchange visitors best understand U.S. cultural values and way of life. More than 400 southern Virginia families, companies, and organizations have participated in home hosting and program activities for Legacy’s international visitors since 1994.
Families with children, couples, and single adults can become volunteer hosts. Hosting periods range from 1-2 weeks in length to just a weekend. Legacy organizes the daytime program activities for your guest(s) on weekdays, and include transportation support to these activities from a centralized meeting point in your community..
The Indonesian youth in Legacy’s Indonesia-U.S. Youth Leadership Exchange who stayed with Roanoke & Bedford families expressed their enthusiasm for their homestay hosts. Read about their favorite moments with their American family.
Skip and Vickie Larrington have been hosting Legacy’s international visitors at their Smith Mountain Lake home for 10+ years. The Larringtons recently traveled to the Middle East and connected with their “daughters” from TechGirls. Read about their favorite moments from one of their recent hosting opportunities.