Legacy International seeks a dynamic, tech savvy person to join our team, empowering young women from across the Middle East with passion and skills to pursue careers in technology. We are looking for an upbeat person who has skills in digital storytelling and a track record in tech training, and who cares deeply about STEM education for the next generation of women game designers, programmers, web and app developers, filmmakers, tech leaders and entrepreneurs.
This is a full time position beginning right away. Applicants considered from Blacksburg/Roanoke, Virginia area or Washington DC only.
Application deadline: March 15, 2015
TechGirls is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State and administered by Legacy International in collaboration with iDTech Camps and Virginia Tech. Twenty seven young women, ages 15-17, from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia and Yemen participate every year in a comprehensive three week training program in US, and implement community-based projects upon return home.
Our Company. Our Mission.
Legacy International is a global NGO generating citizen participation worldwide. Our programs and services help people of all ages form collaborative teams around shared values, develop entrepreneurial mindsets and business models, promote social responsibility and lead to peaceful sustainable communities. We are headquartered in Bedford, Virginia, in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with employees working remotely from Blacksburg and Richmond Virginia, as well as Washington, DC.
Culture & Benefits.
Legacy International has a successful 35-year track record delivering high quality training programs with ongoing coaching and mentoring. Legacy’s Founder, J.E. Rash, embodies social innovation and promotes creative thinking company wide. We have a relaxed dress code, flex scheduling, opportunities to gain skills in grant writing, project management and possible international travel. This is a three-year grant with opportunity to help us grow this program. Salary starts at $30,000 plus health benefits.
As the Program Coordinator, your main responsibilities includes:
- Manage social media engagement (Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, YouTube)
- Coordination and delivery of all education experiences (cultural activities, site visits, project planning training, orientations, Job Shadow Day, evaluation)
- Work with US Embassies abroad to prepare girls for travel
- Manage the selection of 5 US teens for program
- Coordinator with program partners: iDTech Camp, Virginia Tech, IOM
- Recruit Job Shadow hosts
- Collaborate on hiring of staff. Manage staff during program delivery
- Maintain proper reporting with US Department of State, developing media plan with them
- Trouble shoot
- Set up mentoring system for community based projects in home countries
- Set-up all logistics – hotel, dormitories, transportation, meals, laundry, etc.
- Work with Legacy’s Host Family Coordinator for placements and preparation of families and youths
- Manage budget
- Assisting on other Legacy projects and advancing the organization’s storytelling
Responsible to: Mary Helmig, Vice President Youth Initiatives
- Previous experience as a trainer in the following subjects: STEM, leadership development, civic education
- Background in basic tech education (Preferred, not required)
- Previous experience working with youth in an educational or recreational setting
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Prior experience managing budgets
- Background in communications and social media
- Ability to establish priorities, responds to unanticipated needs, and work under pressure.
- College graduate
- Minimum age 25
- Stamina and ability to work long, active hours
- First aid and CPR certified (preferred, not required)
- U.S. Citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to learn quickly with a “Can-Do!” attitude while juggling many tasks
- Ability to effectively communicate with youths and staff, and to provide necessary instruction and training.
- Ability to communicate to staff and youths the safety regulations and emergency procedures in case of an all-camp emergency.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to area.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to manage large, complex event management.
- Ability to operate essential office equipment needed to carry out responsibilities (i.e. telephone, computer, photocopy machine)
HOW TO APPLY
Send cover letter & resume, noting “TechGirls staff” in subject line to: Mary Helmig at firstname.lastname@example.org
Legacy international is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified applicants to represent diverse geographical, ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. Our goal is to select the most qualified leaders for each program. The competitive standards are set by each group of applicants.